Sunday 8 June 2014

Week Sixteen - More Bike Problems - 7th June 2014

This week drama continued with my so called friend – my bicycle!  On my way to Konstanz on my bike I was faced with my handle bars coming off in mid-flow of turning a corner!  Luckily I was able to take panic measures and no damage was done.  Probably more importantly I have still all bones still intact!  I think this is someone telling me bicycles are not my friend.  However, as John F. Kennedy once said:

            “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride”

I think I can prove him wrong on this quote!

Ravit, Ashleigh and I
On Monday night Ashleigh and I decided we needed to have a dance, so together with our Israeli friend – Ravit – we went to have some fun!  This was our first time experiencing a real German nightclub and it really was something else.  With Aqua’s ‘Barbie Girl’ on repeat we realised that maybe we weren’t going to get as much groove on as we had hoped.  However, we still had a good night. 

Ravit and I

After a long day of working on assignments on Wednesday we decided we needed some relaxation.  So in the evening we made our way to the ‘Bodensee Therme Konstanz’.  This place was amazing!  With a pool outside at 35degreees Celsius overlooking Lake Konstanz, a pool inside reaching 36 degrees Celsius and a hot tub at 40 degree Celsius it was relaxation heaven!  Throughout the complex there were smaller watery areas with jets that massaged your muscles as you lay against them.  This was a perfect way to end our busy day - watching the sun set and forgetting all worries.  Unfortunately we were unable to take pictures so I will post one from their website so you can get an idea! 

Bodensee Therme Konstanz
One of the assignments that I am completing at the minute is for our Global Education class.  Within this assignment I have to create three fact sheets on the subject of climate change and how I view it to be affecting Northern Ireland.  For this assignment I am paired with a Swiss girl in my class.  Individually we create fact sheets on this topic for our respective countries and at the conclusion compare our findings.  Although I have been aware of the phrase ‘Climate change’ it wasn’t something that I really paid much attention to.  However, having to research the topic and read up on the various opinions and theories has certainly made me realise that it is indeed time that people – both on a global and local level – adapt their lifestyles to combat the threat posed to our environmental and economic future. 

Within the Northern Ireland Curriculum - World Around Us (2010) it states:

“Children will learn about their part in protecting the earth”. 

As my research and understanding of this topic develops I have come to realise how vitally important it is that our children are given the necessary information on how and why they should play a part in protecting the earth.  My investigations into this subject will therefore be very beneficial in helping me deliver the required elements to future classes and so help to arm the next generation with the knowledge needed to help protect all our futures.

Until next week,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment