Sunday 1 June 2014

Week Fifteen - The Travel Bug - 31st May 2014


It is scary to think that I am now on the latter part of my Erasmus journey.  The countdown is well and truly underway with less than five weeks to go until I am back home.  Unfortunately as the end is in sight it also means that it is assignment and exam time, with this week starting off with the writing of essays - but as James, W. says:

“Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.” 

On Saturday we were asked to join our study buddy Bea for a late breakfast date and what a breakfast it was.  It was an ‘all you can eat’ restaurant and cost 16euro each.  Furthermore the restaurant/café had everything you would want for breakfast - a table crammed with fresh fruits, breads, chesses, hot food and someone standing making omelettes to order in front of you.  The restaurant was open from 10am until 4pm and while we were there we found out that once you paid you could stay as long as you like as the 16euro covered lunch as well!  Safe to say we took complete advantage of this and did not need food for the rest of the day!

Monday started another week of classes and looking back at the beginning of the semester it is great to see how accepted and welcomed we have become in this programme.  You may recall that in one of my early blogs I commented how I had to try to adapt my speaking style to ensure I was fully understood – well, I have now noticed that I have trained myself to speak in the required ‘Oxford English’ and as such can conduct continual conversations with my Swiss friends without having to repeat sections.  However, it will be hard to keep the Oxford English accent when I get home as I am pretty sure it will be much too posh for Fermanagh!

This week we decided to take our travels further by heading to Lugano in the south of
Enjoying the sun and view at Lake Lugano
Switzerland for the night.  This is an Italian speaking town that is placed on the side of a Swiss mountain overlooking the Lake Lugano in the canton of Ticino, which borders Italy.  This place was truly wonderful with beautiful views and luckily for us - beautiful weather.  This would have been my first time staying in a hostel and as my friends and family at home would know this is a big change for me.  However, I have to admit this was a luxurious hostel that had a pool overlooking the Lake!  Who would have thought when I left for my Erasmus experience I would be sitting pool-side in my bikini sunbathing in 30 degree heat!  I promise I am doing work!  Whilst there we thought we should treat ourselves by having dinner in a nice restaurant and eating nine euro fruit for breakfast.  Although exorbitantly expensive it was an experience to live as the ‘other half’ does, even if only for a short period.
In our paddle boat in the Lake

In our pool

Out for our meal
On our way home we decided to take a stop off in Luzern where we took a boat ride around the Lake Luzern and visited the monument and the Chapel Bridge.  We hadn’t really planned this, but as our travel pass covered all modes of transport for a day it seemed such a shame not to
At the Chapel Bridge
get the full value out of it. The bridge was built in the 14th century and served as a rampart as well as part of the town’s fortification; it contains some original paintings that date back to the 17th century in Renaissance style.

As I write this I am totally amazed that I find myself describing architecture and art -  how cultured I have become over the last number of months!!  I have really taken to travelling and am looking forward to what my last weeks have in store. 

Tschüss

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment