Monday 23 June 2014

Week Eighteen - World Cup Time - 21st June 2014

Enjoying the match
The end of my Switzerland adventure is coming close and the reality of saying goodbyes and heading back home to Northern Ireland is beginning to sink in.  This week brought the end of classes in what has been our university for the past four months along with many assignment deadlines and exams. 

Due to deadlines approaching and exams to revise for it has meant that this has been a relatively quiet week as I have been glued to my computer screen and revision notes.  My friends and family at home have been constantly telling me that I am on a four month holiday; however, this week has been far from it.  This week I had my final German exam.  Whilst being here it was my aim to learn the basics of German.  Languages are not my strongest point but I am certainly over the moon with the progress I have made on this front.  Being able to successfully order food in a restaurant, ask for what I want in a shop and understand how much the cashier is asking for along with being able to conduct simple pleasantries with local residents is something I am really proud of.  This is great progress believe me!

This week I also finished my assignment for a module that taught us the importance of philosophy with children.  It was great to take part in this module as it gave me many different insights and approaches as to how we can help children become confident in themselves and help them find their inner voice.  As Jackson, T. (2010) states it is important we do this with children as it helps with…

“…growing a sense of inner confidence…”

Last Friday we finished off Ashleigh’s 21st birthday celebrations with a BBQ at the lake accompanied with friends that we have made whilst being here.  This was a great night that enabled us to realise the real friendships we have established here and how with these people have made our experience what it has been.  Together we sat and enjoyed food, games and some good Irish ‘craic’. 

With some of our friends
Watching the match outside at one of the many 'pop up' screens
With the World Cup Football in full flow it is of course our duty to support Switzerland.  It is amazing to be part of the atmosphere here when Switzerland is playing a match and it is really nice to see people proud of their country and sticking by them regardless of the results. (We lost 5-2 to our neighbours France on Friday)  Having the opportunity to sit with Swiss people and cheer on their team through the highs and lows is so much fun. 

When I write my next blog I will have completed more exams and assignments.  One of the exams I am nervous about is Religion and Ethics so this week there is going to be a lot of revision done.  Wish me luck!


Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment