Tuesday 8 April 2014

Week Seven - Time to Ski - 4th April 2014

Finally this week I was able to do what I have always wanted to try and that is skiing! On Saturday our study buddies Bea and Tracy took Ashleigh, Sarah and I to a local ski resort to give it a go.  When we arrived we were marched to the onsite ski rental shop and little did we know what we had in store.  After being weighed and measured in all directions we were finally given our ski boots and skis.  If only someone had warned me of the weight that they were going to be and feeling like a robot from the knee down.  Also being the clumsy self that I am leaving the shop I done the inevitable and knocked over everything with my skis as I carried them – typical Stephanie. 

Tracy and I mid-ski down the slope!
The girls decided it would be a good idea for them to bring us to a small area at the bottom of the slopes for us to get used to having skis on and to try and control them.  Upper body strength was key - which I have none of.  After many laughs and falls and screams we were beginning to understand how to work our new 6 foot length feet.  As Kalty’s quote describes exactly how we were:

“If you aren’t crashing, then you aren’t skiing.”

Soon I decided that I was confident enough to give the ski slope a try.  Along with Bea and Tracy I got the lift to the top and seeing the hill I was faced with I soon began to regret my choice of challenging myself but only one way down and that was to give it ago.  I went down the slope a further three more times after this – fair to say I really enjoyed it and soon got the hang of how to ski!  Yes I have got the ski bug!  Next day however left a lot to be desired, I thought the muscle pain from cycling was bad – nope skiing is worse!

Ailing and I enjoying some cocktails
Also this week I went for cocktails with three of the Chinese girls in my flat.  This was so much fun to get to know them better and have some girl time and although we are from different cultures and nationalities we soon began to realise how much alike we are as the topics of nails and hair came up.  Girls will be girls no matter where we are from. 

This is our last week in university before our three week Easter holidays.  Along with this week brought our first assignment, this took place in our English Methodology class.  For this assignment we had to work with a Swiss student and together create a poster on a topic to teach.  Being known as Irish it seemed to my partner that it would be a good option to do our poster on an Irish topic.  After some research we decided to do the topic of The Giants Causeway.  Together we created our poster incorporating pictures, the story of Finn McCool and some suggested lessons including Maths, English and Art. 

This week has also brought the start of some revision!  Unfortunately, Erasmus is not all fun and there has to be work done at some stage.  Although as Pierre quoted:

“All of your goals are attainable as long as you are willing to work hard to achieve them as well as enjoy life.”

Our revision was for our class for German for Beginners.  I am proud to say I can count to 20 (zwanzig), ask and answer basic questions and describe my family.  Anyone who knows me will know that languages are not my strong point so to achieve this knowledge is awesome!  Our exam is this Friday so in next week’s blog I will tell you how I got on – fingers crossed!

Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment