Friday 11 April 2014

Week Eight - An Experience to Remember! - 11th April 2014

This has been a week full of drama – on one hand plenty to smile about again and on the other an unexpected event that made me cry.  Let me explain how my week eight has turned into a period that will stay as a huge part in my memory of the Erasmus experience. 

My first guest!
On Thursday afternoon I made my way to Zurich airport via the train and, after successfully working out times and platforms, arrived safely to greet my first guest in Switzerland – my boyfriend Steven.  Seeing a face from home was extremely exciting and even more exciting knowing that I could be a tour guide for the week and ‘show off’ all my local knowledge.  He soon became impressed as he noticed how independent I had become in knowing my way around and showing him how the Swiss do things, and additionally, displaying how my cooking skills have progressed – trust me they needed to.   Little did we know that Steven would soon have to take the lead and do everything. 

On Saturday we went to Konstanz for the day and enjoyed little bit of touring around taking many pictures and having a lot of laughs.  Unfortunately however my day of relaxation was soon to change suddenly and unexpectedly.  As Leo Rosten said:

“Some things are so unexpected that no one is prepared for them.

Somehow I had managed to get nudged while on my bike and, being unable to steady myself, fell off.  Thinking it was just a silly fall I began to gather myself up off the ground only to realise that something was just not right with my arm.  After much dilemma an ambulance was called and I was transferred straight to the local hospital.  When I arrived I was brought straight into x-ray and soon told I had broken my wrist in two places.  Now we both realised it was time to make the dreaded call home to my father to ‘break’ the not so happy and very painful news. 

Something that my Dad very quickly pointed out was to make sure I was in a state hospital – something you never have to think of when at home.  Upon enquiring I was told that I had been admitted to a private hospital and that my bill was already mounting!!  Following frantic discussions both in the hospital and with home we decided to ‘check out’ and take a taxi to a local state hospital. After paying for the short consultation and X-ray fees - a massive 180Euro - we hopped into a taxi (something else we were unaware costs a considerable amount) and made our way onward.  This journey was not a comfortable or a stress free one as by this stage I was in a lot of pain.  Between keeping me calm and trying to talk to a German taxi driver with no English certainly elevated the stress levels of not only Steven but of all in the taxi.

When we finally arrived I was quickly admitted, and upon presentation of my European Health Card was sent for more x-rays and several examinations.  One of these doctors broke the news that I needed to have surgery on my wrist when a plate would be inserted to aid the healing of the two bones (radius and ulna).  The only good news was that surgery was to take place at half eight the next morning (Sunday).  Just typical…. 

Finally discharged! 

As I write this blog one handed on Wednesday afternoon, I can now reflect on my pre-travel preparations and the importance of having an up-to-date European Health Card and insurance before embarking on any travel abroad.  I shudder to think what the consequences would have been had I not been in possession of the required documentation. Without these everything, I have no doubt, would have been a lot more stressful and the financial implications that I would have been faced with doesn’t bear thinking about. 

So now my surgery is over and after three days in hospital I have been released in a full arm, brightly coloured green cast – always being subtle I am..!  My hospital experience in Switzerland is certainly nothing like home and something to remember. 

These couple of paragraphs only outline my story very briefly as I am missing out a lot of the detail.  The pain I went through and the stress suffered by all including my parents, who felt so helpless at home, cannot really be described.  Without Steven and my parents working together sorting everything out and giving me the support that I needed I am pretty sure I would not have made it through the last couple of days. 

So, as I said at the beginning of this blog, despite being keen to show off my well learnt cooking skills these have now become redundant and my skills as a good sous chef are being sorely tested.  And my poor visitor, - well not only did he have to extend his trip, but planned tours and sightseeing trips have been shelved. 


Until next week - from a one armed Stephanie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment