Sunday 3 August 2014

Week Twenty - And That's A Wrap - 13th July 2014

Our very sad send off
As I sit and write the final blog entry relating to my Swiss adventure it is very surreal that the journey I initially apprehensively waited on is now over.  Looking back over the last twenty weeks I am amazed and proud with all I have achieved both academically and personally.  In my Week One blog I mentioned that come July ‘the good memories would hopefully outweigh the bad’, and, having reached this juncture I can most certainly say that they have. 

Throughout my time away it would be untrue to say that I did not have some low times.  From missing my family and friends, to just seeing a familiar face from time to time never mind the stresses associated with the well-known broken wrist!  Experiencing an accident like that really opened my eyes as to how easily it can happen and the importance of simple necessities such as insurance and European Health Card. 

Before I left my small village in Fermanagh to go into the big bad world I was excited at the prospect of meeting people from all over the world.  This Erasmus experience has certainly allowed me to do that and I have developed some wonderful friendships with girls from Switzerland, Germany, China and of course Israel.  Ravit and Meital from Israel arrived the same day as us and having that immediate bond allowed us to develop a wonderful friendship and they often were my ‘go to people’.  Israel was never a country I would never have thought about visiting but having heard so much about it, and not being able to return home until I promised I would visit, has meant it is now on my ‘list’. 

Bea and Tracy are names that have been mentioned throughout my blogs from day one.  These girls went above and beyond to ensure that we were welcomed and saw everything that needed to be seen.  Having them come to Stranmillis in September is very exciting and something I am very much looking forward to.  I will certainly try to repay them by showing them as much of our country and culture as possible. 
Messing around

Our final week in Switzerland was one that brought many lasts, including the last coffee here, the last time we eat here etc.  Despite all the assignments we had to complete we made sure we had time to spend with all our new friends. 

Our last night

Coffee on my last day
Catching some last minute rays!
Throwing the key of our padlock in the Lake for some luck!
As a student teacher and having completed this experience has meant I have gained a lot academically and personally that I would have never gained staying at home.  Academically I have not only learnt about other educational systems but experienced first-hand understanding of them while teaching and gathered many different resources and ideas to bring home.  Language was never a subject that I thought about much as it is not particularly emphasised within the Northern Ireland curriculum, however, having experienced and witnessed children from the age of four being able to speak two languages has made me think twice about teaching children languages. 

A cake and champagne waiting when I got home
Personally I feel I have developed as an individual and have become a more open minded and tolerant person.  These are qualities that will be greatly beneficial to me in my classrooms in the future.  Developing and maturing as an individual was probably not on my mind as I set off for Switzerland but reflecting now on the experience I feel that I have really benefited in this regard.  Everything that happened while being away has been part of a learning curve and I know within myself that my ability to cope with all the trials and tribulations has been a great achievement.  Pushing myself out of my comfort zone and now being able to say that I lived in another country for five months is a great feeling.  As Barack Obama said in one of his speeches:

 “The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.”

For the last time,
Auf Wiedersehen,

Stephanie 

I will also leave you with a picture of my dog who was also smiling for me coming home..

No comments:

Post a Comment