Sunday 11 May 2014

Week Twelve - Lesson Plans - 9th May 2014

Back to early mornings and early nights this week as the usual tiredness of placement weeks set in.  Every year when placement begins I forget how much the school day really takes its toll on you. The 6:30am alarm comes around so quickly and in order to survive and be at my best during a school day bed time is 10:30pm every night. 

This week I began to teach some lessons to the children in my class.  This is the first time that I have taught this age group and I would be lying if I said it was easy!  With children so young I have found that it is really important that every lesson is busy and entertaining as they very easily become either distracted or bored.  Maybe this is why 10:30pm bedtime has become necessary!  Every year getting back into the swing and routine of placement is difficult at the beginning and this year has been no exception but as the days go in I again get used to it I begin to really enjoy it and get into that ‘teacher mode’. 

One of the GTCNI Teacher Competences (2011) is to gain an understanding…

‘…of the need to take account of the significant features of pupils’ cultures, languages and faiths and to address the implications for learning arising from these’

This is something that I have begun to do as having children in my class with many different backgrounds and faiths means it is important that I embrace this and really let the children embrace it as they interact with each other. 

It has been really interesting getting to know how schools operate here and getting used to their daily routines.  Every year group in my school have what is titled a ‘Unit of Inquiry’.  Within this they will have a chosen topic that will be studied over a period of six weeks.  My class have just finished their unit of inquiry on the topic of ‘Light’.  In this the children have learnt about different types of light source and the difference between man-made and natural light.

Next week we begin the new topic of ‘Our Lake’ where the children will look closely at Lake Konstanz and begin to understand its features.  If I compare this to schools at home and our curriculum – it would not be unusual to have a topic that is studied in depth in class.  At home when we would choose a topic we would within it try to link as many subjects into the topic as possible.  As the Northern Ireland Curriculum (2007) states:

            “Pupils should be provided with a range of learning opportunities to acquire and develop the cross-curricular skills in a variety of contexts”

Here I have noticed this is something that is not done as they just focus on the actual topic and do not worry about cross-curricular links. 

The teachers in our placement school have been very welcoming and even inviting us out for drinks and food.  This has made Ashleigh and I feel very welcomed into the school and becoming part of the team – which is really nice. 

In other news my wrist is slowly getting better and daily routine and tasks have become more manageable.  I have also begun physiotherapy here in Switzerland.  While the majority of clinics are private they all accept routine referrals from hospitals as well so getting appointments hasn’t been a problem.  Once again all is covered by my European Health Card so I am glad this was one of the documents I had with me! 

My weekly appointments have really helped me to slowly gain the strength back into my wrist and hand and I am now beginning to really admire the lovely scar on my inner wrist – a result of the operation to fit the plate - and a memory forever of my time in Switzerland.  Although physio is going really well I have been strongly advised that I am forbidden to ride my bicycle until a certain standard of recovery has been attained.  As I had said in previous blogs bikes are the main mode of transport here so this is something I have really struggled with.  Back to walking everywhere has not been much fun as it easily turns a 5 minute cycle to Germany into a 30 minute walk.  Poor Sarah and Ashleigh have to suffer the consequences of this when we decide to go anywhere together!  This Sunday it will be five weeks since my operation (wow) and hopefully in the next week or two my wrist should be fully in motion again and back to normal.  Here is hoping that is the last drama of my Erasmus adventure!

At the beginning of this week it was miserable here with constant rain and dark, windy days – just like being at home in Fermanagh!  However, to end on a bright note we were informed this week that a heat wave is due to join us towards the end of May - we are really hoping that this is true! 

Tschüss

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment