Friday 7 March 2014

Week Three - Many more memories - 7th March 2014

Having a great laugh! 

“The time to enjoy a European trip is about three weeks after unpacking.”  George Ade

It is really hard to believe that already I am sitting writing my week three blog, and I have to agree with George Ade that it really has taken until now for me to really start to enjoy and embrace my time here. 

Enjoying and embracing my time this week involved visiting the carnival in Konstanz.  This carnival is a great party and a huge part of the culture for the residents of Germany and Switzerland with more dressing up and more parades. Come the evening time the streets were made into an outdoor dancing arena with drinks flowing and dance moves aplenty!  Since we were so close to this carnival we thought it would be a great shame to miss out so Ashleigh, Sarah and I took ourselves off to see what we could find and the picture below shows how we ended up. In my opinion and I think we did rather well!

Two cheetah's and a mouse! 

Sad we did not make it to Basel!
Every week Sarah, Ashleigh and I try to make sure that we see another part of Switzerland.  This week we decided that we should go to visit the town of Basel.  After finally working out our train route, which stops we needed to get off at and the cheapest option we were on our way for a three hour journey.  As we were approaching our destination, the train made an unexpected stop at a platform.  After sitting there for some time not knowing what was going on we were finally informed (or translated by a fellow passenger I should say) that there was a tree on the track ahead.  We were given two options – either staying on the train that would be heading straight back to Konstanz or get off and a wait a couple of hours on a bus.  We went back.  Just like being at home with the ever so reliable Translink!

On Monday night our housemate Yuexin invited us to meet some fellow international students.  This was a great night that enabled us to meet new friends and see new faces.  Tuesday brought us Pancake Day, and with it traditionally being a great family evening at home, it was sad for me to miss. In particular not being able to witness my brother try to make the biggest pancake was regrettable.  However, just because I am over 1000 miles away does not mean I was going to miss it.  The girls and I made our own pancakes and used it a great excuse to eat loads of chocolate and sugar!  Just how Pancake Tuesday should be.
Meital and I enjoying our pancakes with lots of chocolate! 

Being here three weeks has also meant that my German is slowly progressing – slowly being the key word! However as Skylar Harrington says:
Each language you learn is another set of opportunities.” 
I am now able to say “Hallo, ich heisse Stephanie.  Ich komme aus Irland.” I shall let you work out what that says!  However, the most important phrase I have learnt is “Ich verstehe nicht” which means I don’t understand; needless to say I have needed this phrase a lot

Adieu,

Stephanie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment