Thursday 20 February 2014

Week One - Arriving safely in Switzerland - 20th Feb 2014

The 13th February was the day that was not only the start of my big adventure and move to Switzerland for five months but the realisation of leaving home and my family for this length of time.  The goodbyes to my family were harder than I expected but throughout my first week I soon began to realise how fortunate we are to have access to Wi-Fi enabling the use of Skype and Facebook – these will certainly help me through my time here! Although I was initially apprehensive at the thought of leaving my home comforts in Northern Ireland to live over 1000 miles away, it is an opportunity that I am extremely thankful for and one I am going to make the most of.  I certainly intend to experience all aspects of life here.

So, the journey began at Dublin airport where I met Ashleigh and Sarah - together we all experienced the mixed emotions of excitement and nervousness, but knew that together we would make sure we thoroughly enjoy our time. 

Ashleigh, Me and Sarah at Dublin Airport
When we arrived in Zurich airport we were kindly met by Chantal (who was on Erasmus in Stranmillis last semester) and her friend Tracey.  They took us to our accommodation which is in the town of Kreuzlingen in Northern Switzerland.  It is situated on Lake Konstanz, right on the border of Germany.

Myself and Ashleigh are living together in a flat with five other students – four from Beijing and one from Czech Republic.  This alone has already been a challenge as never did I think I would be living in a house with people from two completely different cultures and beliefs.  

With my mode of transport for the next five months!
Very quickly we found that we had to settle into the Swiss way of life. One major difference is our main method of transport - we have to cycle everywhere!  Although this is great to experience, I must admit that all week I have been complaining about my sore bum and legs. I am hoping this will improve soon!  Not only have we to deal with cycling on the roads but here they drive on the right hand side meaning we have to remember to give way to traffic coming the opposite direction.  Needless to say we have nearly caused some accidents already!  Most of the roads here have got good cycle lanes and I have found that drivers are very respectful - often giving cyclists priority on the roads which I am thankful for. 

Having now nearly completed a week of class already I am starting to notice the difference between Switzerland and Northern Ireland.  It has really opened my eyes at how capable the Swiss are at speaking English so fluently as their second language and in some cases as their third.  It really puts us in Northern Ireland to shame that we don’t put as much effort in to learning another language so well. 

Meeting with other Erasmus students from Israel - Meital and Ravit
It is fair to say that my first week in Switzerland has had its ups and downs.  There have already been some memorable moments visiting some beautiful locations and meeting some lovely people and some lows - but this is all part of the experience and one that I am going to grasp with both hands as I know that when I return home in July the good will most certainly outweigh the bad and become the best experience of my career so far.  As Kristen Wiig says: When you go out of your comfort zone and it works there's nothing more satisfying.”

This is at the beautiful Lake Konstanz
So until next week – Tschüss (Goodbye in Swiss German).  

No comments:

Post a Comment